Sunday, March 4, 2007

Focus on Negative Splits

Bex/Rhea here. Or, as my friend Susie says, Rex. On the second Saturday of the 10K program, my training group had dwindled from three to two. Jeff decided to go with a slower-paced group, and Anne was MIA.

However, Amanda showed up, and we may have a new recruit, Aaron. Plus, Bob, who shares coaching duties with me, was there.

So it's all good.

We ran 5 miles - from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, past the WWII Memorial, the Washington Monument, up Capitol Hill, to the Supreme Court and back. The first half paralleled Constitution Ave. The skies were clear and the sun so bright, it almost seemed like spring. But the early March chill and a brisk wind put that thought to rest.

Bob and Aaron ran ahead at about an 8:20/mile pace, while Amanda and I logged an 8:22 for our first mile, and a 9:04 for our second mile. I mentioned to Amanda that we were going to pick up our pace on the last half of the route, running negative splits.

We kept the men in our sights, but the stoplights along the Mall held us back, and we soon lost them.

The way back: We started slowing when we hoofed it up Capitol Hill, around Mile 2. Next time, I'm going to hold Amanda back a little so she can finish strong. My Garmin froze at Mile 2.5 (damn technology), but I guestimate that we ran the last 2.5 miles at around 9:20-9:30 pace.

Advice for the upcoming week: On at least one of your runs, pick up the pace in the last half to one-fourth of the route. Run slower at the beginning to warm up your muscles and to preclude bonking at the end. You will use a similar tactic in your races.

5 comments:

jeanne said...

great advice! Thanks Rex...er Bex...er Rhea.
:)

peter said...

Individualized coaching for the gazelles, not bad. Bob said you all did 5.111 miles. Nice distance for the second week. Good luck Rhea on your finishing leg relay at the Lower Potomac River Marathon next Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I joined this group to get back on track and push myself--and that's what I'm going to do. No more wussy Amanda. I'm going to tackle the hill with confidence and obtain those negative splits next week! Thanks for the encouragement, Rhea. See you Saturday.

Rhea said...

Hi Amanda - You're looking strong in your runs. And you'll get even stronger and faster! I won't be there on Saturday, unfortunately, as I'm running the Lower Potomac Marathon relay (2-person) on Sunday. I'm running it with Peter. But I'll see you the following week.

Anonymous said...

we may have a new recruit, Aaron
I hope so, or Amanda is going to be tremendously over-coached.